Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Drew Coleman

I think today might have been Drew's worst day ever. We were at my mom's house and he woke up from his nap screaming his head off. He screamed for probably at least an hour, and you could certainly tell that he was in terrible pain. We all felt so bad for him, because there was nothing that we could do to calm him. Finally I decided that I had listened to him and watched him suffer enough so I decided to call the doctor. I explained to her how we had gone from breast to formula to lactose-free to soy and none of it seemed to make much of a difference. In fact, with the soy, he seemed to do worse. Even with the probability that he has reflux, he isn't a spitter, but today he spit up several times along with all of the screaming. She told me to just do away with the soy and go back to the lactose-free formula with added rice cereal and that she was calling in Zantac for him. Please God, have your all-powerful hand on my sweet baby and whatever is paining him, help me know how to fix it. Not only is the constant screaming and crying obviously frustrating for me, but it is also heartbreaking to know that my baby is in pain and I can't help him. The doctor said that we should give this medicine a week to know if it is going to work or not, so hopefully by this time next week we will have a happy baby.


1 comment:

  1. Shannon, Zantac is VERY yucky, even for adults( mint flavored). So I tell you this only because I used to work at a compounding pharmacy that makes reflux meds for babies, and I had to fight with my doc to write Sean a prescription the pharmacy could make and flavor for Sean. So if he has problems with that- DEMAND an RX for omeprazole and drop me a line on myspace or katiefrost@ymail.com. I will give you the info on who to talk to at my old pharmacy. Good luck. We struggled with a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance and reflux with Sean as well, so I understand your frustration!

    ReplyDelete