Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Be still, my heart!

Dear Dakota,
Tonight while riding home from Gardendale, Dillon and Drew fell asleep so you asked me the sweetest, saddest thing you have ever asked me. "Mama, how do you get a girl to be your girlfriend?" You were so honest and sincere about it, and I was so proud, but it was all I could do to choke back the tears. Are you really old enough to be thinking about that? I guess you are already 8 years old, and your "girl crazy" years are fast approaching. My advice to you was to either call her, write her a note or ask her at school. You are so funny though because you don't want anyone else to know about her (you're afraid you'll be made fun of)and you never get to see her at school because she isn't in your class or in your PE class. Some of your main reasons for wanting HER to be your girlfriend are (these are YOUR words) "She's pretty, she's sweet, she's NEVER mean to anyone, if someone gets hurt on the playground she always goes to check on them, and she makes good grades". I must admit, those are pretty good reasons, son! I'm proud of you for going after the "good girls"!

Thank you for trusting me enough to talk to me about such sensitive matters. I always want you to feel like you can talk to me about anything at all.

I love you so much and I am so proud of you!

Mom <3

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! I can't even imagine when Jacob gets to that age. I'm glad I can hear other's stories before we get there so I can know how to react. You're boys are precious!

    ReplyDelete